Canal Clean-up Day 2023
The Friends of the Delaware Canal Clean-Up Day if scheduled for april1, 2023. The entire 58.9-mile length of the Canal will get its annual spring cleaning through the efforts of Area Coordinators, Canal Tenders, and hundreds of volunteers.
This year many of our Coordinators and Canal Tenders have reported that their sections are cleaner than ever. However, areas, particularly in the Canal’s southern end, can always use additional hands to help. Whether in the south or north or anywhere in between, your help is always appreciated.
To volunteer, please review the Work Area list (help is very much needed in the sections highlighted in bold type) and let us know where you would like to be located. You can tell us your preference in a number of ways. You can fill out our online form, e-mail the Friends at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 215-862-2021. We will provide the Canal Coordinator with your information, and they will let you know where to meet, what to bring, and answer any questions that you may have.
So, pull out your work gloves and come out on April 1 to get the Canal ready for the busy season. If you have a canoe or kayak, bring it along. The trash that accumulates on the berm side of the Canal (the side opposite the river) is most easily retrieved from a boat, and, sometimes, it’s the only way to get to it safely.
It is the hard work of all our volunteers on clean-up day and throughout the year who make this vital greenway a welcoming place for all.
Please keep up the great work. And as always, individual clean-ups are welcome – anytime, anywhere.
Oh, and pictures. Don’t forget to send pictures.
Thanks, and see you on the towpath!
Delaware Canal Clean-Up Day Work Areas
The list of this year’s work areas follows. Help is especially needed in the highlighted areas. Please contact us to volunteer.
- Bristol Riverfront Park to Bristol Lagoon Park
- Bristol Lagoon to Green Lane
- Green Lane to Edgely Avenue
- Edgely Avenue to Levittown Shopping Center
- Levittown Shopping Center to Mill Creek Road
- Mill Creek Road to Wheatsheaf Road
- Wheatsheaf Road to Tyburn
- Tyburn Road Detour South End to Conrail Tunnel
- Conrail RR Tunnel to Bridge Street
- Bridge Street to E. Maple Avenue
- Maple Avenue to Ferry Road
- Ferry Street to Black Rock Road
- Black Rock Road to Afton Avenue
- Afton Avenue to Mt. Eyre Road
- Mt. Eyre Road to Stoney Run Aqueduct
- Stoney Run Aqueduct to Thompson-Neely Bridge/Bowman’s Hill
- Bowman’s Hill/Thompson-Neely Bridge to Lock 9
- Lock 9 to Bridge Street
- Bridge Street to Rabbit Run Bridge
- Rabbit Run Bridge to Phillips’ Mill
- Phillips’ Mill to Centre Bridge
- Centre Bridge to Virginia Forrest Recreation Area
- Virginia Forrest Recreation Area to Lock 12
- Mountainside Inn to Bridge 2
- Bridge 2 to Bridge 3
- Bridge 3 to Lock 17
- Lock 17 to Uhlerstown Bridge
- Uhlerstown Bridge to Lodi Hill/ Lock 19
- Lodi Hill/Lock 19 to Homestead General Store
- Homestead General Store to the Narrows
- The Narrows to Mueller’s Store
- Mueller’s Store to Wy-Hit-Tuk Park
- Wy-Hit-Tuk Park to Easton
Sign up here to help on Canal Clean-up Day.